Genealogy is the 2nd most popular hobby in the US after Gardening (according to ABC News, in 2014), resulting in a huge interest in the restoration of old cemeteries. This in turn has inspired numerous “Friends of …” charities to facilitate the care and upkeep of historic cemeteries nationwide. Numerous descendants (wishing to honor their ancestors and make a personal connection with them) have expressed to us the same interest for the Alhambra Pioneer Cemetery, which is considered the oldest in Contra Costa County. To facilitate the restoration, preservation, and maintenance of the Alhambra Pioneer Cemetery for the solicitation of monetary and material donations, volunteers, expert guidance, and coordination with all interested parties including city officials within the larger context of a cemetery master plan, we created the Martinez Cemetery Preservation Alliance (MCPA).
Its origins arose out of the Potter’s Field Restoration Project (PFRP) to restore the existing Chinese Funerary Burner and care for Potter’s Field in general. The PFRP officially launched on May 9, 2015 during the City’s Cemetery Spring Cleanup with volunteers clearing broken bottles, trash, fallen branches, weeds, while also starting deconstruction of the Burner. Four years later, the huge funding and logistical needs required to complete its objectives and of the cemetery as a whole, sparked the formation of the MCPA.
Our mission is, "To support the preservation, restoration, and significance of an outdoor historical museum, while giving voice to its untold stories and serving as a genealogical resource for descendants.+
Our additional objectives are:
- To raise funds in aid of the preservation and maintenance of the Alhambra Pioneer Cemetery and its resources.
- To support the creation of an Alhambra Pioneer Cemetery Preservation Master Plan with the City of Martinez and the East Bay Regional Park District.
- To create a partnership alliance with all entities and individuals with an interest in the Alhambra Pioneer Cemetery.
- To advocate for the implementation of the Cemetery Preservation Master Plan on behalf of said alliance in coordination with the City of Martinez and the East Bay Regional Park District.
- To be ambassadors for community engagement by being an important genealogical resource, while celebrating and raising awareness of Alhambra Pioneer Cemetery’s residents.
If you have any information about the site, its residents, or wish to volunteer, please email us at email@example.com or call (925) 316-6069 for more info. To find out about our next work party, please check our Calendar.