In the meantime, individuals would approach him about purchasing an individual burial site or family plot on his land. Unlike Alhambra Cemetery, all deceased were welcomed but again it was never officially organized as it's own cemetery. Instead a white picket fence is erected (c. late 1860's) around the perimeter of Alhambra Cemetery including a portion of Dr. Strentzel's property, (Potter's Row). This made it appear to be all one cemetery, despite the land being owned by two separate entities.
Dr. Strentzel goes on to accumulate over 16,000 acres before his death in 1890 (he ends up purchasing most of the original Martinez family land grant "Rancho El Pinole"). As he had no written will, everything was left to his wife Louisiana Erwin. Louisiana keeps the property intact until her death in 1897, in which the property then is passed on to their only surviving daughter Louie Strentzel-Muir. Some of the land is sold to support John Muir and his projects. Upon her death on August 6, 1905, what remains is then passed on to their daughters Helen Muir-Funk and Wanda Muir-Hanna. John Muir is allowed to live in the home built by Dr. Strentzel but feels that his daughters are trying to force him out. So he buys the estate from them in 1915 that includes of course Potter's Field. However he dies within a couple of years and it all reverts back to Helen and Wanda. Helen then sells the two lots that make up Potter's Field to Contra Costa County on August 30th, 1919.